I didn't do much experimenting with this layout, focusing mainly on punched and die cut shapes. I started with some beautiful MajaDesign papers from their Walking in the Forest and Ska vi ta en Fika collections.
|Jenny and Anna (my great grandfather's sisters)|
The corners were stencilled with molding paste and then sprayed with an orange mist (once the molding paste was dry), dabbing off some of the colour from the raised pattern.
Memory Box stencil - Flourish
Lindy's Stamp Gang Flat Fabio Mist - Kissin' Kenickie Coral
I then used various dies and punches to cut out the shapes to be layered.
Martha Stewart Punch Around the Page sets - Swirling Lace, Cherish
Cheery Lynn Designs dies - Japanese Lace Frame, Daphne Doily, Rum Punch Doily
Spellbinders dies - Romantic Rectangles, Blossom Tags and Accents.
I like to layer each of my shapes on a darker version, offsetting slightly to accentuate the edges.
The chipboard shapes I used are all from The Dusty Attic
Lace Border #2
Mini Doily Set 1
|Mini Doily Set 1|
I painted Doily #2 white then embossed it with Dried Marigold Distress Embossing Powder. For the doily set, I used clear ink and clear embossing powder, then dry brushed various colours of craft paint over top.
I painted Lace Border #2 with brown paint. I wanted to do a crackle paint finish on it but because every time I go to open a jar of my crackle paints I find it has dried up, I had to improvise. I read somewhere you could use Elmer's Glue All in between the coats of paint to make the top layer crackle. Well, I have a huge bottle of that (rather, my kids had one in a craft bin and have hardly ever used it so I confiscated it). It was a bit tricky. I applied the topcoat of white when the glue was still fairly wet, being very careful not to overwork it. Not sure I really like how it turned out but I might experiment with the technique in future to see if I can get a better result.
For the chipboard leaves, I painted them orange but it was too bright so I did a white wash over top to tone it down and then applied green ink around the edges.
Then I added the embellishments; a couple of metal pieces, a bunch of Prima flowers, a little Petaloo flower and gold berries by Magnolia Stamps.
I finished up with a few touches of brown and orange, using a brown watercolour pencil and diluted orange mist applied with a paintbrush.